“Having applied our minds and the consequences thereof, we took the resolution with other stakeholders not to pursue the issue of inviting Miss Beyonce Knowles to the awards,” says Mbalula.
According to Mbalula, Beyonce was also going to be part of the pre-concert music fest which was meant to contribute back to needy causes. Now that this controversial issue has been put to rest, the concert will not take place either, continued the Minister.
There was public outcry after the department mentioned it would fork out more than R17m to get the voluptuous Beyonce to the awards, as has happened last year were leading musicians such as Brandy, Vivica Fox, amongst others graced the event.
“Instead we’re now going local is lekker,” promised “Mbaks” as he’s affectionally known.
The 2nd instalment of the awards will now take place in November 04 at Sandton Convention Center, having being moved from Sun-City in Rustenburg.
With more than R3,7m and luxury car allocated to the event itself and nominees, the buzzing word ‘razzmatazz’ would continue to be on our lips, as we celebrate our sporting athletes’ performances now that our Paralympians are collecting medals as if they’re getting out fashion at the London 2012 Paralympics Games.
Close to 80 sporting figures would be awarded certificates and prize money on the evening.
“We’re not going to celebrate mediocrity,” said Mbalula, referring to the issue of honouring ineffective athletes’ as happened last year.
This would not be allowed to happen again this year, he says.
The establishment of the award committee comprising Robert Marawa, CEO at Tennis South Africa Wire Zondi, Lebo Montsoeli and others, would ascertain all nominees adhere to strict rules and regulations of the awards.
On the thorny issue of Hall of Fame, the Minister pointed out that, soon the establishment of a collective and transparent SA Hall of Fame would come into place.
The idiom that, lighting does not strike twice at one place would be put to the test! Having won last year’s SA Sports Star of the Year Hashim Amla, who is breaking records in cricket circles recently and having contributed to Proteas’ earning first rankings globally, will face a stiff competition from the likes of Olympic swimming sensation Chad le Clos, amongst others.
Meanwhile, SABC Acting COO Hlaoli Motsoeneng, who was hospitalized for unknown health condition was unhappy with the way Minister Fikile Mbalula addressed the issue of SABC’s increased viewership.
In what could be described as “slandering” Mbalula said SABC should behave professionally rather than focusing on increased numbers.
In response Motsoeneng, claimed that public broadcaster was overwhelmed with the latest 30m plus viewership and this is testament for being afforded the rights to broadcast the awards.
What caught all and sundry off-guard was when Mbalula repeatedly said ’mediocrity’ won’t be tolerated an obvious reference to the SABC.
Pay channel SuperSport will also broadcast the awards!