AS THE Covid-19 lockdown takes shape, the very first two cases of death have been reported.
The patients are from the Western Cape and both women.
This was confirmed by the Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize.
The other was 48 and 28 respectively, according to WC Premier Alan Winde, who went on to confirm “the 48-year-old woman’s condition worsened while in ICU, and she passed away this morning [Friday],”he said.
“The 28 year-old was admitted to hospital [on Thursday] and received emergency health care. She also passed away this morning. The clinical picture is consistent with Covid-19 but we are awaiting the test results to confirm this.”
On Friday the number of coronavirus infections went past the 1,000 and will grow, so will the death rate as the public continues to ignore the call to stay home or practice social distancing.
“The lockdown should be taken very seriously,” warned Winde, who also sent message of condolences to affected families.
In Joburg those who defied the law were arrested and some taken in for questioning by cops and SANDF.
Meanwhile, Edcon has confirmed it might be business ‘unusual’ after the 21-day lockdown.
According to the retail giant it could close shop as a result of financial losses due to Coronavirus lockdown currently imposed on South Africans.
The emotional and teary CEO at Edcon Grant Pattison says this does not augur well for the economy as it will affect thousands of their staff throughout the country, but he did caution they will monitor the situation.
Edcon that faced liquidation but managed to ‘flatten the curve’ last year after a R2.7bn deal with its creditors owns well known brands namely Edgars, CNA and Jet stores.
Image (SANDF on high alert after being deployed throughout the country as a result of Covid-19 lockdown).