NEWS

Illegal outdoor advertising a headache for the City of Joburg

THE City of Johannesburg urges media owners and outdoor advertising agencies not to support companies operating without proper approval, as the City intensifies its efforts to clamp down on illegal outdoor advertising across Johannesburg.

On Tuesday, 17 February 2026, the City conducted a large-scale enforcement operation starting at Bryanston Shopping Centre and proceeding along Winnie Mandela Drive toward Sandton, where as many as 10 illegal billboards were identified, with several taken down.

Some of the signs removed had previously been disconnected from the City Power electricity grid two weeks ago for illegal connections and were found to have been reconnected unlawfully.

The operation was carried out jointly by City Power, Joburg Property Company, Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department, City of Johannesburg Development Planning, and the Johannesburg Roads Agency.

JPC CEO Musah Makunga said the City aims to ensure full compliance with its by-laws by all partners and stakeholders.

“We are out here making sure that the people we do business with follow the rules of the City of Johannesburg. Behind me is an illegal site, a billboard erected without following the by-laws. We also dealt with a digital billboard owned by an entity that does have a lease with us, but which had illegally connected its electricity,” said Makunga.

He added that a growing number of illegal billboards have been identified around Sandton and urged media owners to approach the City for proper application procedures.

Executive Director for Development Planning, Eric Raboshakga, said that many of the properties hosting illegal signs are also neglected.

“The sign we are removing today is on a neglected property. Owners are making money from the structure, yet the site itself is abandoned, which affects surrounding properties and the City as a whole,” he said.

Raboshakga emphasised the need for lawful applications and responsible property maintenance.

“We urge property owners to follow the proper legal process when applying for signage and to keep their properties well maintained, so that business activities can generate employment while preserving a clean environment,” said Raboshakga.

He added that the City will continue operations throughout the week to identify and remove additional illegal signs, noting that many of them pose safety risks due to their brightness or proximity to intersections.

“We urge media owners and outdoor advertising agencies not to support companies operating without approval,” he said.

Image supplied (The illegal MTN billboard has been removed for contravening by-laws).

Related posts

Down’s dim Bucs lights off!

Sydney MORWENG

DA’s move for early elections ‘wishful thinking’

Sydney MORWENG

Rising stars to take center stage at the finals!

Sydney MORWENG

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.