Her absence from the air came after Msengana’s official comment to this newspaper last week that the SABC had instructed its stations not to interview Khaya Mthethwa, the 2012 M-Net Idols winner.
Msengana last week confirmed to Sowetan that she had been sent an e-mail on 1 October by her station manager, Martin Vilakazi, ordering her not to do any interviews with the Idols winner, or any other competitor.
“This morning [Wednesday] an instruction was personally given to me by my station manager not to interview Khaya,” Msengana said then. “No explanation was given. I had to obey and ask no questions because he is my boss.”
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago confirmed that Msengana would be back on the air yesterday. But, Kganyago said that Msengana will not face any disciplinary action since she is a freelancer.
“Unathi was not suspended but she was just not scheduled for other shows last week. Unathi is a freelancer, so she gets scheduled for shows,” Kganyago said. “But she breached the terms of the contract that stipulate that no employee may discuss SABC matters with the media.”
Attempts to get comment from Msengana and Vilakazi were unsuccessful. Sowetan sent questions by SMS to Msengana, but she did not reply.
Msengana co-hosts First Avenue with Glen Lewis, Melanie Bala and Sizwe Mabena between 6am and 9am on weekdays.