NEWS

Is the justice system failing our society and impartiality questioned, or is the case of prosecutors cutting corners on executing their job, as Omotoso and co-accused walk free?

NEWS that Nigerian televangelist Timothy Omotoso and his two co-accused were acquitted, still gives a chill down my spine.

Omotoso and co-accused Lusanda Sulani and Zukiswa Sitho, were told to walk free, following litany of 35 serious charges including rape, sexual assault, and human trafficking.

In her ruling on Wednesday, at the Gqeberha High Court, Judge Irma Schoeman found that the prosecution had failed to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt.

The judge specifically criticised the state’s cross-examination, describing it as “poor quality” that failed to dispute the accused’s evidence.

Following the ruling at the packed court, Omotoso will be deported back to his home of origin Nigeria. But is it worth it, because he might continue with his wayward behaviour?

The political parties and Parliament demand answers following the ruling.

ActionSA party leader Herman Mashaba released a strongly worded statement opposing the judgment and calling for Omotoso’s deportation.

“ActionSA firmly opposes the infiltration of South Africa by dubious entrepreneurs and self-proclaimed ‘biblepreneurs’ who prey on hardworking and unsuspecting citizens,” Mashaba said.

He clarified that the party respects law-abiding foreign nationals but objects to those who engage in criminal activities.

Mashaba characterised the court’s decision as “a devastating blow to victims and a glaring indictment of our immigration services, criminal justice system, and, more specifically, the National Prosecuting Authority’s ongoing failure to deliver justice”.

The party has called for Omotoso to be barred from operating as a church leader in South Africa and for his name, along with those of his co-accused, to be added to the national sex offenders’ register.

Additionally, ActionSA is demanding that immigration authorities revoke Omotoso’s residency status and deport him to Nigeria.

“South Africa cannot be a refuge for those who exploit and harm its people,” Mashaba concluded.

“It seems the quality of the state’s case and its cross-examination failed the complainants and victims. This is an assault on the fight against gender-based violence. This is totally unacceptable,” commented the worried chair of the portfolio committee on justice and constitutional development, Xola Nqola, Nqola.

The parliamentary committee on Wednesday announced plans to summon the National Prosecuting Authority to provide an explanation for the weaknesses in their case against Omotoso.

Nqola also referenced the recent murder of community activist Pamela Mabini, who was shot dead in her car in the driveway of her home in KwaZakhele, Gqeberha.

Mabini had been committed to supporting witnesses in the Omotoso case.

“With her gone, it seems we have failed our women, especially since the court referred to the poor quality of cross-examination as a contributing factor to the acquittal,” he added

Cheryl Zondi, a key witness in the case, expressed shocked in court during the handing down of the judgment.

“Our lives have never been the same after coming out about this,” Zondi said.

“The main concern wasn’t even the knowing of what he did to us. It’s knowing that he is not gonna stop. He’s gonna continue doing this to other women and other girls.”

Zondi voiced concerns that the acquittal would embolden Omotoso.

“I think things may only get worse from here. Definitely gonna be more pompous and believe that this is an act of God and it’s not,” she stated.

“I think we’re all familiar with the fact that evil prevails in this world and it’s really unfortunate.”

She also highlighted questions that remained unanswered during the trial.

“Why wasn’t your wife and your children in the house with the girls? Why were you flying women in and out of the country? Why was it just girls? Why weren’t you training the boys as well?” Zondi questioned.

Woman for Change, an activist group advocating for the rights of women and children, voiced their disapproval of the verdict.

At the time of publishing Omotoso had not decided on a next step, legally speaking of course, after being incarcerated for eight years’, which is his right…

Is the justice system failing our society and impartiality questioned, or is the case of prosecutors cutting corners on executing their job?

Yes, this still gives a chill down my spine!

Image supplied (Acquitted. Timothy Omotoso and his two co-accused the flamboyant Lusanda Sulani and Zukiswa Sitho, recorded at the Gqeberha Court on Wednesday).

Related posts

HONOR to provide AI, amongst others to Bafana as latest partner

Sydney MORWENG

Mini Cooper S EV good but not ideal for a long haul

Sydney MORWENG

Mayambela will be a thorn in Bucs defence!

Sydney MORWENG

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.