IN THE wake of SA’s move to adjusted level two from Monday, the DA has called for President Cyril Ramaphosa to commit to an end date for all lockdown restrictions and the state of disaster.
DA leader John Steenhuisen said while the easing of restrictions was welcomed, “the only possible reason for any further restrictions would be to allow everyone over the age of 18 the chance to get vaccinated”.
On Sunday night Ramaphosa announced the curfew will remain in place, but will start at 11pm and end at 4am.
Gatherings are now limited to a maximum of 250 people indoors, up from 50, and outdoor gatherings will be limited to 500, up from 100.
Funerals remain restricted to no more than 50 people and, as before, night vigils and after-funeral and “after-tears” gatherings are not allowed
Ramaphosa said people will be able to buy alcohol from Monday to Friday between 10am and 6pm. Previously the sale of alcohol for off-site consumption was limited to Monday to Thursday.
Steenhuisen believes an end date for restrictions “must be well within our sight” since the 18-35 year-old group have had access to vaccines since August.
“At the very latest, this should happen by mid-November, which would give this age cohort a full 12 weeks to get both jabs.
“This deadline needs to be announced so businesses affected by lockdown restrictions can plan accordingly. It is not something that can be decided and announced at the last minute as this would put more businesses and jobs in jeopardy.
Image (DA leader John Steenhuisen).