NEWS

SSA a threat to themselves and the country

This follows startling revelations that the agency misspent millions on ‘covert’ operations and protect certain leaders.

The expose was made this week at the State Capture Commission taking place in Braamfontein.

The Commission heard from the likes of Sydney Mufamadi, former chairperson of the high-level panel who investigated the SSA, and others of how the agency was allegedly abused by African National Congress (ANC) factions pre and post 2019 Nasrec elective elections.

SSA acting director-general Loyiso Jafta, also testified that money from the department was used to fight ANC battles.

In a statement, an unidentified witness known as MS K, said that the theft of millions from the agency showed that there was an attempt to overthrow government.

Earlier this week, the Zondo Commission heard that state security officials who were implicated in the robbery of R17 million from a safe inside the SSA complex were still holding their positions to this day.

MS K, provided testimony on Thursday morning. She is part of a team investigating irregularities at the spy agency.

“CDIS members were also implicated in the robbery of R17 million from a safe inside the SSA complex?” asked Advocate Paul Pretorius.

To which MS K replied: “Yes, it did happen and did get input from Johan himself on this, in detail that the people are within his unit, but those people remain there currently.”

She confirmed the affidavit of another witness, Mr Y, who the commission said was unwell after recently coming out of a coma.

On Friday, investigators said the SSA paid between R100,000 and R200,000 a month for apartheid assassin Eugene de Kock’s upkeep, including a salary of R40,000 per month.

Investigators said a memorandum of understanding was signed with the Department of Correctional Services.

Advocate Paul Pretorius read the affidavit of Mr Y: “…. Indicated that Project Lock was allocated around R100,000 to R200,000 per month, which included the lease of a safe house, living expenses and a salary of around R40,000 to Mr De Kock for which he signed acknowledgment receipts.”

MS K said that while she saw a report about this, she didn’t personally interview an official called Lily, who provided the information, because she left the organisation.

The expose also indicated former SSA minister David Mahlobo knew what was going on and former President JG Zuma was aware of the on-goings.

DA said it has written to the SSA minister Ayanda Dlodlo to disband the agency though that would be far-fetched.

MP Dianne Kohler-Barnard described it as “treasonous looting” and added there was no possibility of saving the organisation in its current form.

ANA, the news agency owned by Dr Iqbal Survé, chairperson of Independent Media and Sekunjalo Investment Holdings, was also implicated for having benefited from SSA.

Image (DA MP Dianne Kohler-Barnard has written to the SSA minister to disband it).

Related posts

New minister of Sport McKenzie, vows to change the landscape of sport and support artists

Sydney MORWENG

SPARK Soweto asks for your vote having been nominated in top 3 World’s Best School

Sello NCHWE

Veuve Clicquot Bold Woman Award entries now open

INFO SUPPLIED

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.