This follows news that the public broadcaster will as from today play 90% of local music and 10% international on all their radio platforms.
“We’ve been advocating for this to happen, it’s just that it took time due to engagements with record label owners and the SABC board to agree on the quota”, says Kganyago.
#LocalMusic received a great reception across South Africa‚ including from artists who have previously lambasted the SABC for not playing local music across its platforms, such as music mogul Don “Mahwetsha” Laka, who was roasted for initiating the cause.
Asked how will commercial stations such as Metro FM and 5FM will respond to the ‘new law’ Kganyago said those stations have been playing local music “but did not meet the quota system”.
The SABC and its COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng have been trending since the announcement on Wednesday that all of its 18 radio stations will‚ as a trial‚ increase the quota of local music for the next three months.
“We’ve mandated record owners to come up with creative, sellable and genuine SA music, that’s an order. But should that not happen we shall review the decision,” warned Kganyago, who claims has been on his mobile fielding calls since wee hours of the morning.
Lance Stehr –Muthaland record boss (currently shooting a video for their multi award winning star Nathi at their studio) says they will see how the 3 months trial will work out.
Some of recording companies representatives who did not want to be identified, agreed in unison that this will come back to bite SABC because they believe ICASA (Independent Communication Authority of SA) should be the one mandating the quota not the public broadcaster.
Musician Donald did not respond at the time of publishing.