English Premier League club Newcastle United and TP Mazembe of the Democratic Republic of Congo had been reported as possible opponents in the annual tournament, but organisers said this was not so.
Jabu Mathibela of the organisers would not confirm the possible cancellation, saying only that a statement would be made today.
But Pirates’ Mickey Modisane said: “I know that has been terminated, so it is not going to take place.”
Adding to the confusion has been uncertainty regarding which visiting teams will take on Chiefs and Pirates.
Mathibela denied that Newcastle or Mazembe had been approached.
“We never invited them,” Mathibela said. “We have never announced that we are bringing Newcastle United or TP Mazembe. One of the media organisations decided to announce that on our behalf and from that point on everyone worked on the notion that those clubs were coming to South Africa.”
“How can TP Mazembe come to honour a tournament on July 21 when they will be playing in the CAF Champions League? Those things don’t add up.”
The two best-supported teams in the country should not struggle to put a Plan B tournament together, should the scrapping of the Vodacom Cup go ahead.
Modisane did not rule out the option of Pirates joining in one of the other Premier League teams’ pre-season tournaments.
“Plans are still at a very low level. But there are pre-season plans that the coach (Augusto Palacios) is putting in place,” he said.
“There are a few invitations that have come through to the club, though right now there is nothing that has been confirmed.