This follows their suspension by the ruling party ANC.
Four community members died after police opened fire on protesters last week. The protests concerned water shortages at Mothotlung in the Madibeng municipality.
The resignations followed an ANC national working committee statement, released on Tuesday. The statement called for to the implementation of a department of co-operative governance ministerial task team report, which recommended disciplinary actions and prosecution against those implicated in the report for corruption.
Paul Hendriks, ward councilor confirmed this after a council meeting on Tuesday at Madibeng municipality.
The ANC national working committee also condemned the supposed violent actions of both the protesters and the police. According to Mothotlung residents, the protests were peaceful and only become aggressive after shots were fired from police.
The ANC national working committee’s statement addressed issues of healthcare, exorbitant costs of medicine and allegations of corruption at the Madibeng municipality.
It also condemned the loss of the four people killed in Mothotlung and said that if the final report from the ministerial task team, commissioned by former minister of co-operative governance and traditional affairs Richard Baloyi, had been implemented, their deaths would have been averted.
The statement reiterated that the Independent Police Investigative Directorate is scrutinising the deaths.
The ANC also called for an urgent investigation into allegations of the deliberate tampering of the water supply and government officials owning trucks supplying water to affected places.
Meanwhile, following the intervention of the headhonchos from the ruling party, the situation has subsided a bit although under heavy Police presence.
With elections nearing communities are going to vent their anger at poor services offered to them.
Political commentators have also blamed leaders who have now defied the concerns of the people who have voted them into power.
ANC Provincial Secretary Dakota Legwete says as the organization they welcome the decision taken by the NWC.