FOLLOWING COURT case on whether the re-write of leaked Maths Paper 2 and Physical Science Paper 2 matric exams, one could point the finger at the Basic Department of Education for all these mishaps.
Security or a bridge is of utter concern and those responsible should face the might of the law, not the poor and already exhausted learners.
Why did the department had to go the legal route and waste another tax payers money instead of seeking another alternative route?
The South African Teachers Union, Cosas and other vocal parties raised the concern and questioned the motive behind.
Sadtu’s Nomusa Cembi said they (DBE) must abide by the judgment which declared the rewrite unlawful and irregular.
In a statement, the Council of Education said it agreed that the matric class of 2020 had been confronted by many challenges brought by the COVID-19 pandemic and it would be unfair to subject them to further uncertainties.
The council, however, said that it was concerned that the court ruling did not address the credibility, fairness and integrity of the matric exams, due to the leaked papers.
DBE spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga said: “The rewrite of Maths Paper 2 and Physics Paper 2, which were scheduled for 15 and 17 December respectively, is not going ahead as initially announced by the Department of Basic Education.
The Council of Education Ministers has noted the judgement of the Gauteng North High Court, which was handed down on Friday afternoon. CEM has noted that a number of aspects in the judgment need to be challenged and that in the near future it will be approaching the courts to correct some of those identified aspects of the ruling.”
The department said it would now focus on the next phase in the administration of the exams, including final preparations for the full-scale marking.
Umalusi, the quality assurance body indicated it was ‘disappointed’ by court ruling on matric exam rewrites.
Image (Angie Motshekga, minister of Basic Education- things did not go her way).