It is the Toyota Hilux Legend 45 and last year, it celebrated its anniversary in the market. Get used to it on and off road!
It is the Toyota Hilux Legend 45 and last year, it celebrated its anniversary in the market.
It’s hard to believe that the Hilux first went on sale in South Africa 45 years ago. It was launched during the last quarter of 1969 with a price of just R1525 and was only available in 4×2 single cab guise, fitted with a 1.5-litre petrol engine.
Yes, how times have changed?
In comes the vibrant, revolutionarised and upbeat Legend 45, albeit released last year it is still popular with ardent Toyota fans.
That was evident when we took for a ride at a wedding in my village NW-it made a load of aahs and oohs; to such an extend the bride asked to accompany them during the ceremony to Chiefs place for blessings!
Distinguishing the ’45 from other Hiluxes are these exterior treatments…
• New headlights and front foglight design with black-out detail
• Smoked tail lights
• Stainless-steel front nudge bar
• Stainless-steel rear step bumper
• Matt-black side steps
• Legend 45 badging on the nudge bar, side decals and tailgate
• Colour-coded door releases and chromed mirrors
• Multi-spoke 17″ anthracite alloy wheel rims
• Special exterior colours including Glacier White, Chromium Silver, Chilli Red, Pacific Blue Metallic, Graphite Grey, Attitude Black, Silky Gold and Dark Steel Mica
• Tonneau cover and rear styling-bar as an extra-cost option (Legend 45 Plus)
No doubt the Legend 45 will also become something of a collectors’ item among off-roading fans of the Toyota Hilux. Here’s what they’re all about… with the prices and specs of the 13 variants of Raider (high-spec) rear and all-wheel drive single, Xtra Cab and Double-Cab raised-body and 4×4 units. Generation 7 of a real Legend of a bakkie.
“It’s undoubtedly the purest distillation of toughness and versatility you’ll ever find in a pick-up and, best of all, it’s rooted in the guiding principles of Toyota’s QDR – Quality, Durability, Reliability). And now, to celebrate 45 years of ‘bundu bashing’ excellence, Toyota SA is pleased to announce the introduction of the aptly named Legend 45,” once commented Glenn Crompton, vice-president of marketing for Toyota SA.
It features full black interior, including facia finish, black leather with silver contrast stitching on the seats, door panels, steering-wheel and gearshift lever boot (manual), reversing camera on the Xtra Cab Legend 45 models as well as 2.5 D-4D and 2.7 VVTi Legend 45 models (standard on all other Double Cab Legend 45’s.
Also improved is the 17-inch anthracite alloy wheels, ‘black-out’ headlights and fog lamps, smoked taillights, stainless steel front nudge bar and rear step bumper, towbar, matt black side steps, chrome-finish mirrors and various Legend 45 badges.
Engine wise, all body styles can be paired with Toyota’s proven 3-litre D-4D turbodiesel that delivers 120kW and 343Nm. The other diesel option, in double cabs only, is a 106kW/343Nm 2.5-litre D-4D.
Prices for various Double Cab models:
Toyota Hilux Legend 45 Double Cab
• 2.5 D-4D 4×2 RB – R411 900
• 2.7 VVTi 4×2 RB – R377 900
• 3.0 D-4D 4×2 RB – R438 300
• 3.0 D-4D 4×2 RB auto – R452 000
• 3.0 D-4D 4×4 – R495 500
• 3.0 D-4D 4×4 auto – R509 300
• 4.0 V6 4×2 RB auto – R451 200
• 4.0V6 4×4 auto – R533 900
Performance: 1-10 (6)
Diesel: 1-10 (8)