NEWS

SA is ‘burning’ as looters overwhelms cops

This follows incidents of on-going violence and looting in several shopping centres and malls in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.

Violent scenes have reported in Jeppestown, Alexandra, Soweto, Vosloorus and Germiston and other malls in Durban.

In Soweto, the Jabulani Mall was a site of violence and looting as hundreds stormed the mall and looted food supplies.

Police officers seemed outnumbered and overwhelmed could do little to stop the rampant looting taking place.

Soweto’s Maponya Mall announced its closure on Monday afternoon after attempts to loot just before midday.

“In the interest of safety for our shoppers, due to the ongoing unrest within the region, Maponya Mall will be closed for trade on Monday, 12 July 2021,” the Mall management said.

Our freelance photojournalist Jacob Mawela had this to say on the rampage in Pimville, Soweto, “it’s mayhem in Pimville Zone 3 with Republik Restaurant, Roots Butchery, Kenny’s and Liquor City looted and vandalized – and no police present”.

The Southgate Mall was also looted.

Looting also took place at Shoprite Naledi in Soweto.

The Sandton Shopping Centre was operating normally although an old video was being shared, creating the impression that there was unrest at the mall. The mall said it had deployed additional security.

“Sandton City is aware of the evacuation video circulating on social media. This video is from April 2021, and is not connected to the ongoing violent protests in and around Johannesburg.

“Additional security measures have been put in place at Sandton City, as the safety and security of shoppers and tenants is of the utmost importance.

“Together with the South African Police Service, Sandton City will continue to monitor the situation, and is currently operating as per normal, as a COVID-19 compliant, SAFE-certified shopping centre.

Meanwhile, police spokesperson Colonel Brenda Muridili said at least 96 people had been arrested in Gauteng for looting and rioting. She said at least four people had been killed.

Rea Vaya has suspended service.

According to the press release: “The City of Johannesburg hereby informs passengers that Rea Vaya services remain suspended until further notice. The situation of unrest and road blockages in some parts of the Joburg central business district has not changed”.

“Due to marches in and around Johannesburg, the Joburg Metrobus is suspending the service with immediate effect. Operations will resume as soon as it’s safe to do so,” the City said.

Image (Jabulani Mall, in Soweto looted as Police watched helplessly).

Related posts

Mantashe to SA youths- take up career in energy sector

Sydney MORWENG

Cassper Nyovest is the new face of MTN!

Sydney MORWENG

DJ Sumbody or Mr AyepYep dies in hail of bullets

INFO SUPPLIED

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.