NEWS

West Rand in mourning following the deadly crash that claimed lives of learners

A family on the West Rand is reeling after having lost four children in a horror crash on their way to school on Wednesday.

Thirteen people died – 12 pupils and a driver of a minibus taxi.
 
It is understood that the minibus taxi was carrying at least 19 school children when it was hit by a Ford Ranger before catching ablaze. 

Seven other pupils who were involved in the accident were discharged from the hospital. 
 
Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi and Education, Sport, Arts and Culture MEC Matome Chiloane were at the Carletonville Hospital where the children were admitted.
 
“Seven were discharged, because they could not find anything but the policy of the hospital is that if they want to come back they are free to do so.”

“I am profoundly saddened by this tragic event,” said Chiloane said in a statement.

“The loss of our children is a devastating blow to our community, and our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the deceased and injured learners.”

The department has dispatched its psycho-social support team to provide immediate support.

Earlier on Wednesday, Eyewitness News learnt that the driver of the Ford Ranger, which hit the scholar transport from behind, survived the ordeal and was rushed to hospital.
 
Police have since opened a case of culpable homicide

Image provided (MEC for Education and Sport in GP, Matome Chiloane at the accident scene that took lives of learners in West Rand, today.)

Related posts

‘Jewel of the West’ Naledi High School’s 60th milestone

Jacob MAWELA

Gauteng Premier effect cabinet changes

INFO SUPPLIED

8th Nelson Mandela Day clean up campaign at the Soweto Equestrian Center

Jacob MAWELA

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.