OVER 200 African leaders were honoured at the 7th edition of the Persons of the Awards Dinner and Induction of CEOs into the African Business Leaders Hall of Fame.
This years’ theme “Human capital growth and Entrepreneurship: A Catalyst for Africa’s Growth and Development” drew Africas’ top decision makers ranging from politics, business, diplomacy and other industries.
First citizen of Johannesburg Mayor Herman Mashaba said the city has full potential and opportunities are in abundance to be ceased by all, he noted during his opening remark at the glittering dinner held at Sandton Convention Center, last week.
Guests included Tewolde Genre Mariam, Chief Executive Officer, Ethiopian Airline; Mukwandi Chibesakunda, Chief Executive Officer, National Savings and Credit Bank (NATSAVE) Zambia; Faizal Antonio, Chief Executive Officer, Laraf Group, Mozambique; Mohammed Jebbar, Président Directeur Général chez Group BC Skills, Morocco; Oliver W. Klark, Jr., Chief Executive Officer, RoviaGate Technology LLC, Monrovia- Liberia; Ms. Shamila Ramjawan, Founder/CEO/Co-Owner, Famram Solutions and Mashaba.
The awards are in partnership African Leadership Magazine, whose managing editor Kingsley Okeke painted a sordid picture.
“With the growing unemployment numbers, and the projected increase in the continent’s population by the year 2050, job and wealth creation has become a patriotic task.”
He also charged business leaders to begin to think of how best to maximize the provisions of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement.
CEO and Founder Training Excellence South Africa, Hawa Chafaray, stated that the event was aimed at sending a simple message, “Africans can solve Africa’s problems.” In her words, “As African, we must, therefore, chose to see possibilities, where others see difficulties; a continent of limitless opportunities, where others see threats. Distinguish honorees, Africa looks up to you to provide the much-needed leadership and this honor (today) should serve as a tonic”.
Highlights of the event included:
The Newsmaker Session with the Nigerian Army; panel session and Award presentation to deserving leaders.
Below is the full list of Winners on the night:
ALM Business Leadership Excellence Award
- Mr. David Jones-Mensah, Managing Director, Dominion International Petroleum Limited Ghana
- Ms. MukwandiChibesakunda, Chief Executive Officer, National Savings and Credit Bank (NATSAVE) Zambia
- Mr. Faizal Antonio, Chief Executive Officer, Laraf Group, Mozambique
- Mr. Mohammed Jebbar, Président Directeur Général chez Group BC Skills, Morocco
- Mr. Tewolde Genre Mariam, Chief Executive Officer, Ethiopian Airline
- Mr. Oliver W. Klark, Jr., Chief Executive Officer, RoviaGate Technology LLC, Monrovia- Liberia
- Ms. ShamilaRamjawan, Founder/CEO/Co-Owner, Famram Solutions
- Ms. Rosemary Chambe Jairo, Deputy High Commissioner of Tanzania
- Mr. Xolani Qubeka. Executive Chairman/Managing Director Malvilox Roofing Solutions
- Hon. William G. Greaves, Jr. The President & CEO, International Strategic Consultancy Group New York, USA
African Banker of the Year Award (Entrepreneurship Development Category) Awarded to:
Mr. Olukayode A. Pitan, Managing Director/CEO, Bank of Industry Nigeria
African Distinguished Executive Leadership Excellence Award of the Year (Energy Category) Awarded to:
Mr. Ahmed Zaid Saeed Al Shemeili. Head of CBRN (Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear) unit in Supreme counsel for National security (NCEMA) and leading strategical planning for the CBRN emergency in the UAE
African Leadership Commendation Awarded to:
- Lieutenant General Yusuf Buratai, Chief of Army Staff of Nigeria
- The Honourable, Susan Shabangu, Minister of Social Development Republic of South Africa
- Cllr Herman Mashaba, Executive Mayor, City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality
- The Honourable, Ayanda Dlodlo, Minister of Public Service & Administration of South Africa
Meanwhile, business leaders made multimillion dollar commitment as a result of the awards.
CIMA Security Solutions- Abu Dhabi, signed a multimillion-dollar deal with OPower South Africa, for its unique artificial intelligence product Roxy, during Breakfast network at Palazzo Monte Hotel.
(Image: From left Hawa Charfaray- CE and Founder Training Excellence SA, Managing Editor- African Leadership magazine Kingsley Okeke, Tewolde Genre Mariam- CEO Ethiopian Airline and host Mayor Herman Mashaba).