NEWS

Carl Niehaus irks ANC, suspended

As a senior member of the organisation and Umkhonto we Sizwe Military Veterans Association (MKMVA) spokesperson, Niehaus should have known the right channel to raise his anger and frustration, instead he opted to go the personal route.

He has been slapped with suspension by the ANC for attacking colleague and senior member ANC deputy secretary- general Jessie Duarte recently, a move seen by many as being “haughty” and ‘ill-disciplined’ in a letter dated January 14.

In the letter addressed to Niehaus and dated January 19, ANC general manager Febe Potgieter-Gqubule reminds him he has been employed in the secretary-general’s office since March 2019 to give direct support to the work of the secretary-general.

She wrote: “You have been advised, on more than one occasion, that your public statements and social media posts are unbecoming of someone working in this high office, which has the primary responsibility of driving and coordinating the work of all structures of the ANC. You also received a written warning to this effect on October 12 2019.

“The latest statement, titled ‘Personal statement by Carl Niehaus about his ongoing recovery from Covid-19 pneumonia’, dated January 14 2021 (attached), crosses all boundaries expected from an ANC employee, and particularly someone of your seniority.

“In particular, the personal attack on the ANC deputy secretary-general in this statement is a serious violation of the ANC Personnel Policy Manual. ANC staff members are expected to abide by the discipline of the organisation, and personal attacks by a member of staff on elected leadership – without even attempting to address the matter internally – is unprofessional, is not tolerated and is in violation of the manual.”

His letter dated 14 January 2021 stated: “It is sad that some in our society have become so hate-filled and vicious that one cannot even hope at a time of grave illness for support and sympathy.

“During the time I was fighting for my life, I was deliberately targeted by a well-coordinated, aggressive propaganda smear campaign against me in the Daily Maverick, Mail & Guardian, City Press, eNCA and other WMC [white monopoly capital] media. These attacks are continuing unabated.

“I am saddened that even the deputy secretary-general of the ANC, comrade Jessie Duarte, saw it fit to attack me and undermine my long history as a 42-year veteran of the ANC in good standing, as well as my elected position as an NEC member of MKMVA, and MKMVA national spokesperson.

“This she did knowing that when she was doing so, I was gravely ill. It was unnecessary and callous. I am deeply saddened by it.”

Niehaus on Tuesday charged “I do not comment on leaked letters,” after being pressed to comment on the suspension letter.

When asked on the knowledge of the letter, he said: “Stop it. I am not commenting,” according to Sowetanlive.

Pule Mabe, ANC spokesperson says the organisation is dealing with the matter internally.

Niehaus too many is regarded as a ‘praise singer’ for both embattled former Pres JG Zuma and secretary-general Ace Magashule, who each face alleged corruption charges.

Last year he famously weighed-in on the controversial and racist debate on ‘Orania State’ in the Northern Cape.

He said, “not keeping quiet is not good enough”. 

“Destroy the money, destroy the damn flag. Charge these white, Orania ‘Boere’, for their racism, throw them in jail,” he said.

“If our laws are not strong enough on racism to do that, pass the necessary legislation. This nonsense cannot be tolerated.”

Image (No laughing matter ‘trouble-some ‘ou toppie’ as Carl Niehaus suspended by the ruling party).  

Related posts

ANC considers GNU as talks with other political parties continue

INFO SUPPLIED

Karima Brown will be missed for her probing skills

Sydney MORWENG

Hockey World League finals at Wits

INFO SUPPLIED

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.