LAST YEAR he was spotted as Patrón Perfectionists Cocktail Competition winner in South Africa and now the ‘sought after designed bottle’ will be handed over to a lucky perfectionist.
Bruce Dorfling, whom I happened to visit his bar in Umhlanga- Durban last year, had a blast at Mexico representing the country.
Entering its fifth edition this year, the Bacardi-owned Tequila brand Patrón launched its 2019 Perfectionists Cocktail Competition and finalists have been identified.
The competition invites bartenders from more than 32 countries to submit their recipes in a unique challenge for mixologists and bartenders to demonstrate their skills, expertise, respect for craftsmanship, attention to detail and unwavering commitment to perfection.
This competition sees these values brought to life through their cocktail creation and presentation.
Once again the SA winner will hoist the flag at the finals to be held at the home of Patrón, Hacienda Patrón in Atotonilco el Alto, Jalisco, Mexico in January 2020.
Matthew Sykes, senior director of international marketing at Patrón Spirits International, said: “2019 is a milestone year for the brand. In just five years Patrón Perfectionists Cocktail Competition has grown from a single country competition in the UK to now a programme that spans six continents, involving more than 32 countries and cruise liners.
Over the last four years we have seen more than 6,000 bartenders enter and over the next few months we expect to see more than 5,000 register for this year’s programme.
“We are looking to educate, inform and inspire many thousands of bartenders who are keen to learn more about the world’s most exciting spirit category and compete against the best in the world.”
Meet the Top 15 including where they reside and the bars they represent:
- Josh Kaplan – Fresnaye Cape Town, Western Cape- SoCal
- Burdett Geiling – Sea Point, Cape Town – Gorgeous George Hotal Bar
- Kim Munro – Westdene, Johannesburg – Sin + Tax
- Leighton Rathbone – Silverhurst Cape Town – Orphanage Cocktail Emporium
- Shaz Dorfling – North Beach Durban – Lucky Shaker
- Cameron-Leigh Henning – Magaliessig Sandton, Gauteng – Marble
- David Van Zyl – Protea Hoogte, Cape Town – Cause Effect
- Bradley Botha – Parow, Cape Town – Sip Exclusive
- Sabrina Traubner – Milnerton Cape Town – The Athletic Club & Social
- Taneale van der Merwe -Greenstone Hill, Johannesburg – The Little Fox
- Peter Lebese – Buitenkant Street, Cape Town – Sip Exclusive
- Nicholas Brown – Chestnut Crescent Johannesburg – Molecular Bars
- Ella Gedye – Barrington Road Cape Town Western Cape – Cause and Effect
- Lungiswa Nduna – Johannesburg Gauteng – The Little Fox Mix cocktail bar
- Ncube Gugulethu – Cosmo City, Johannesburg – Mix cocktail bar
The top six finalists will be officially announced September 2, and square it off in the South African finals, Cape Town in October in preparation for Mexico in January 2020.