DESPITE WINNING the Macufe Cup last week in Bloemfontein, Kaizer Chiefs hopefuls are more worried about the lack of silverware in the cabinet than anything else.
Tonight they face the no-nonsense Mamelodi Sundowns in the Premier Soccer League clash at Loftus and anything but a loss, will result in pandemonium from irate fans.
Sundowns are placed fifth with Chiefs directly below them on sixth and they have both accumulated nine points even though the Brazilians enjoys an advantage of having played three matches less due to their participation in the Caf Champions League.
AmaKhosi has not lifted a cup since 2014 and this has been blamed on appointment of coaches who lack the ‘Chiefs pedigree’. But the million dollar question is who to blame: a coach or players?
Should ‘not so’ The Glamour Boys of Phefeni lose tonight, it would compound matters for coach Steve Komphela, as they face Orlando Pirates in the first 2017/2018 Soweto Derby on Saturday.
For Chiefs’ it’s pouring troubles and their set up is like a casualty ward with the likes of Lorenzo Gordinho, Teenage Hadebe‚ Gustavo Páez‚ Kgotso Moleko‚ Tsepo Masilela‚ Ramahlwe Mphahlele and Emmanuel Letlotlo, all nursing an assortment of ailments.
With such a headache Komphela should be asking WHY LORD, do you remember that famous song?
But it’s up to the players’ to step up their game and bring back the glory days at the Naturena side. It’s still early, if only they begin delivering goods.
His counterpart Pitso “Jingles” Mosimane will have a beautiful headache when coming to players’ selection since he has no major injuries to worry about, except collecting major points which will not be an easy task though.
Should George Lebese be in the starting line-up this would be his first against his former employer.
The game kicks off at 19:30. Venue Loftus Stadium.
Meanwhile, Absa is busy with the ‘Woza Nazo’ campaign as part of the Soweto Derby on Saturday.
Supporters can look forward to the opportunity to Kick for R1 million and also will be rewarded for their support and passion for the beautiful game through the unique Absa Red Ticket Zone access experience.
“We invite all soccer fans around the country to come and experience the beautiful game in Soweto with us.
Our Woza Nazo campaign continues to create huge excitement from the stands to the field of play and we believe the historical rivalry such as this one between Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates, is the force that makes the game better.
We also encourage football fans to come in numbers and stand a chance to be a millionaire at the end of the Absa Premiership season through our Kick for a Million competition”, says Banie Claasen- Absa Regional Managing Executive for Gauteng South.
Absa Red Ticket Zone
- Absa Red Ticket Zone access on match day, sees Absa reward loyal customers and football supporters with unique and unforgettable experiences around the beautiful game.
- Absa customers and football fans will have an opportunity to receive an Absa Red Ticket from the Woza Nazo activations around the city from Monday, 16 October to until Friday, 20 October.
* The Absa Red Ticket pass includes a bundle of exclusive Absa Premiership experiences such as branded merchandise, food, refreshments and block-booked premium seating at a unique, Absa Red Ticket Zone grandstand at the FNB stadium
Kick for a Million
- On match day, fans will stand a chance to compete for the Absa Kick for a Million match day cash prize of R5, 000.
- Six fans, 3 from each Soweto rival team, will be brought onto the pitch at halftime to kick against former professional goalkeeper Rowen Fernandez in a sudden death competition until there is only one winner
- Each participant will receive a R1, 000 cash prize and the winner of the round will take home R 5, 000. The winner will then automatically become one of the 10 finalists who will Kick for a Million at the Absa Premiership trophy handover match in May 2018.
- The ten successful winners from the ten rivalry matches will travel to the Absa Premiership trophy handover match where they get to Kick for a Million against a goalkeeping legend in a sudden death competition until there is only one winner, who will take home R1 million.
Activations to take place in the week leading up to the Soweto Derby Woza Nazo rivalry fixture:
- Wednesday, 18 Oct: Student Activation, TVET Randfontein Campus, 11am to 2pm
- Thursday, 19 Oct: Absa Premiership Soweto Derby Press Conference, 1pm to 2pm
- Friday, 20 Oct: Maponya Mall, Soweto, 12pm to 2pm
- Saturday, 21 Oct: FNB Stadium, 11:30am to 2:30pm (Absa Red Ticket Zone)