“They (the drivers) seem to think that it is a legal strike because they followed procedure. But the issues that the unions have raised were issues that we agreed upon when we ended the strike last year.
“We agreed that we will not negotiate on issues that are covered at the bargaining council,” said Piotrans spokesman Dumisani Mntambo on Tuesday.
The SA Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) wanted Piotrans to pay contributions to a provident fund from the time they were employed.
The union alleged that the employer had made contributions to the fund starting in 2010 while there were workers who started working for company back in August 2009.
However, Mntambo said workers had received a 8.5 percent wage increase in April as per bargaining council agreement.
The application would be heard in the Johannesburg Labour Court on Wednesday.
Samwu regional chairman Dion Makura said the union would oppose the interdict and “the strike continues”.
In August last year, about 250 BRT bus drivers went on a strike, demanding a salary of R15,000 a month. The strike lasted eight weeks and ended with the drivers settling for R6500.
At that time, the strike left about 35,000 BRT commuters stranded between Soweto and Johannesburg.